Sunday, May 12, 2013

Creative Tuesdays: Trio

The new theme for Creative Tuesdays is "trio." I decided to create a set of ATCs (Artist Trading Cards) connected by a flower theme. I have always enjoyed creating cameo-style illustrations. This particular set features three women representing different flowers.

Another part of my inspiration came from tarot cards. If you have ever looked at tarot cards, many of them use classical borders (much like book plates and ephemera) and feature a figure that personifies an element or object. I decided to pick three flowers that differ in color and form from one another. This set features the rose, sunflower, and lilac:


© Cameo Flower Ladies, Set of Three by Abigail Davidson, Mediums: marker, color pencil, pen

The ATCs were first hand-illustrated. Then, I mounted them against a black background to give the set that extra contrast.


© The Rose Lady by Abigail Davidson

© The Sunflower Lady by Abigail Davidson

© The Lilac Lady by Abigail Davidson
In the future, I will likely make a set with three different flowers that also complement each other in color and form. ATCs are so fun to make and there are so many ways to create them as long as they are 2.5 x 3.5 inches. Have you made any ATCs lately? Feel free to share!

Happy Illustrating!

22 comments:

  1. Nice way to illustrated "Trio"...like your use of colors in each portrait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Visiting from Creative Tuesdays - these are ever so pretty Abigail. I love cameo style pictures and I love the way you used three different flowers. I look forward to seeing future ones :0) Mo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your trio of ACEO cards looks amazing. I like your "cameostyle" also. Greetings from Finland. Niina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Abigail, I'm thrilled you found such an outlet to express trio and do some other longer term project with these darling cards....Perfect! GREAT job. TY for posting early too to help get the rest of us going. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you MMm.. for always thinking of such creative prompts! And of course, I look forward to seeing everyone's art.

      Delete
  5. Abigail I had stopped by earlier this week but don't see my comment. It said how lovely I think your work is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Christine, thanks for stopping by, appreciate your comment!

      Delete
  6. I really like your cards, it amazes me how you can paint on such little cards. Look forward to other designs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Kathy! It takes a lot of patience but it's worth it.

      Delete
  7. Very lovely cards and a perfect trio!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the idea and the application!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the way their flower choices match their personalities. A really pretty trio!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your trio is so lovely. I like how each gal has the same dress pattern, just different colors. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm visiting from Creative Tuesdays for the first time today Abigail. I'm having a fantastic time seeing everyone's entries.
    You've certainly created a trio of very elegant young ladies!
    I've never actually made ATCs although I've heard so much about them. Who knows maybe one day? ;D
    Waving from all the way over here...DownUnder :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Neesie, and welcome to Creative Tuesdays =)

      ATCs are so fun to make. Let me know if you make one! Looking forward to seeing your art on Creative Tuesdays. And thank you so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  12. They're really beautiful! They remind me of old fashioned cameos where the women in profile were always lovely and glamorous. Very creative way to do three individual characters but still do trio!

    ReplyDelete